Americans love to indulge in the restaurant experience. In fact, more than half of Americans admit to dining out at least twice weekly. People love to take the night off from cooking and cleaning, and enjoy a relaxing dinner. Various restaurants are taking advantage of this trend, and catering toward fast service and great tasting food.
If you want your restaurant to be successful, then you’ll want to start with a high quality point of sale system. Having the best restaurant point of sale software is essential in guaranteeing your patrons the customer service that they deserve. There are many different point of sale systems designed specifically for restaurants. If you are in the market for a restaurant point of sale software program, then you may want to consider these items before deciding on the perfect software for your restaurant business:
Benefits of POS Software
A great restaurant point of sale system will provide your restaurant with many benefits, including:
• Provide Excellent Customer Service
An efficient point of sale system will allow you to input the customer order more quickly, allowing the customers to receive their food in a timely manner. Not only will this decrease the customer wait time, but it will ensure that the kitchen will make less mistakes. The best restaurant point of sale software has added applications, such as reservations, guest paging, waiting lists, gift card management, house accounts, frequent diners programs, and many more.
• Unite Your Staff
Your point of sale system should incorporate the latest in restaurant applications, yet be simple enough to navigate through the process easily. Many restaurant point of sale systems will allow the front of the house to communicate with the back of the house. This helps to bring good communication to all of the restaurant team. When everyone is on the same page, the team runs much more smoothly. When each team member works together and genuinely loves their job, customers can tell and enjoy dining in that positive environment.
• Increase Profits
When customers receive their food more quickly, the tables will turn over at a greater rate. This allows servers to wait on more patrons in a given day. The best top restaurant point of sale software has inventory management integrated within the system. This system will actually reorder food as it is being used, helping to ensure that you will never run out of a product. This also helps the food to stay fresh, which increases the quality of the dishes you are serving. With the reduction in kitchen mistakes, less food goes to waste. Also, time clock errors are reduced with the effective employee punch-in system.
• When selecting your software program, make sure that it will adequately meet the needs of your business, as well as your projected future needs. Purchasing a top restaurant point of sale system up front, will help to reduce the costs of tacking on additional features later on down the road.
• Designate a computer to be the server. This is usually the main computer, and will be the focal point for all of the software download and update applications.
• Determine how many terminals you will need to set up around the restaurant. These terminals will be used for order entry, payment processing, and the employee time-clock. Make sure that you have enough terminals to allow servers to input orders and process payments. Ideally, you want to minimize the time that the customers are waiting for servers to enter their order, or to pay their check.
• Make sure that the order terminals in the kitchen are working correctly. The cooks should be able to view the order as it is entered in the front of the house. The timer on the order should begin as soon as the order is punched in.
• You may need label printers for food dates, bar codes, pizza labels, or other kitchen items.
• Make sure that you have appropriate back up of your software information in case of a power outage.
Selecting a POS System
When choosing a restaurant PoS System to use in your business, keep in mind a few key functions:
• Easy installation is always beneficial when incorporating a new point of sale system into your business.
• Touch screen systems are great time savers.
• Make sure the software that you choose can be integrated with your existing hardware. If you are starting out new, always purchase your restaurant software first. Many times, the hardware will be offered along with the software in a discounted package.
• Be sure to conduct your own research before deciding upon a point of sale system. While sales representatives will try to persuade you to purchase the latest model of POS software, it may not necessarily be the best for your business. Learn the important terms needed to communicate with the salesperson. When you know what you are looking for and what pricing to expect, no one will be able to take advantage of you.
• Integration is key when selecting a great POS system. Your system should be able to track labor costs, manage inventory, detect fraud, order items online, process credit cards, process customer rewards, and include a signature pad.
• When you buy a software system, you want to make sure that there will be ample customer support available to you, should you need it. Make sure you know when the help desk will be open, and who is in charge of answering the calls.
• Is there a warranty on the software program? A quality software program will be prepared to stand behind their equipment by offering a warranty. Should any part of the software program malfunction, you should be able to get a replacement.
• Ask about updates. With the constant flow of emerging technology, regular updates to your system are crucial. While you are paying for the quality of your point of sale system, you want to make sure that your point of sale will stay advanced with the most current updated information.
Choosing the perfect point of sale program for your restaurant can be frustrating and exciting at the same time. You will be amazed at how much a professional point of sale system will simplify your business.
Order Up on Choosing Best Restaurant PoS Software